Amazon Echo is a hands-free speaker you control with your voice.
Echo connects to the Alexa Voice Service, to play music, provide information, news, sports scores, weather, and more—instantly.
Learn more about Amazon Alexa
Configure Alexa to discover RainMachine
- Make sure your RainMachine device has at least firmware version 4.0.631
- Go to Settings > System Settings > Amazon Echo Alexa Integration and Enable it and then click Apply.
- (Important) Reboot the RainMachine device (this is required as a security feature)
- Connect Amazon Echo to the same WiFi network as RainMachine
- Use the voice command:
"Alexa, discover devices"
- Or you can access Amazon Echo web application at http://echo.amazon.com.
Important: If Alexa does not discover the RainMachine, please refer to this article.
Login and go to Settings > Connected Home > Discover Devices
Note: Alexa will discover as "devices" all your RainMachine programs and zones and use their custom names to address them.
- SUCCESS - Alexa will respond with the number of "devices" discovered. This number is a sum of your RainMachine scheduled programs plus each individual zone (see fig.1 and fig.2 below).
- ERROR - Alexa will respond that the "devices" could not be discovered. Please ensure that your RainMachine is on the same WiFi network as Amazon Echo and Amazon Echo server is enabled under RainMachine settings (see chapter 4).
Voice control your RainMachine
Use voice commands to turn manually ON and OFF a program and an individual zone by calling its own custom name.
Note: For this you can use either "turn" or "switch" as the trigger word.
| Wake word
||Program or Zone name
Example: Your RainMachine has one scheduled program with the custom name set by you as: "Flowers" and the Zone 4 is renamed by you as "Tulips"
START voice command
to START the program "Flowers" use the voice command:
"Alexa, turn on program Flowers"
to START the zone "Tulips" use the voice command:
"Alexa, turn on zone Tulips"
Note: Alexa utterance (voice interface) must be used into the voice command. In our case "program" when we want to control (start/stop) a RainMachine scheduled program and "zone" when we want to (start/stop) an individual RainMachine watering zone.
STOP voice command
to STOP the program "Flowers" use the voice command:
"Alexa, turn off program Flowers"
to STOP the zone "Tulips" use the voice command:
"Alexa, turn off zone Tulips"
Enable/Disable Alexa server
- Login to RainMachine web application locally.
- Go to Settings - System Settings
- Scroll down to Advanced Settings
- Check the Amazon Echo Alexa Integration option and click the button "CHANGE"
- It is required to REBOOT your RainMachine device in order to apply this change.
Note: As of today (Mar 17, 2016) you can enable or disable Amazon Echo Alexa server on your RainMachine device using only the web application interface.