I installed a new PWS (Ecowitt WS80 plus other sensors) and I use meteobridge to pull data from it, via Ecowitt GW1000 gateway. I was looking for a way to feed RM with my local weather data through meteobridge, and luckily I found that Gordon Larsen developed a working parser that has been also committed in the official repository: rainmachine-developer-resources/sdk-parsers/RMParserFramework/parsers at master · sprinkler/rainmachine-developer-resources · GitHub
When I configured the MB parser, I put hostname of my meteobridge server (I don't like using fixed IP addresses, dns exists for a reason), but RM wasn't working, saying that it couldn't resolve the name.
So I ssh in RM and tried to do an nslookup and I discovered it couldn't resolve the name. I was surprised, since the dns of my router/dhcp server is working perfectly, and the name was resolved fine by all other hosts I tried.
So I checked the /etc/resolv.conf file of RM and I found it had 127.0.0.1 as nameserver. That obviously couldn't be right. I also found that there was another file, resolv.conf.auto, whose contents were the right ones, nameserver was 10.1.10.1, my router. So I understood what the problem was.
I replaced resolv.conf with resolv.conf.auto and that worked immediately, the meteobridge parser worked fine too. Now I had to find a way to make that config change persistent to reboots.
Luckily I found the post of user drmm8: https://support.rainmachine.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009880273/comments/360005432814
I modified rc.local as he suggested and now finally everything's as it supposed to, and I also solved the problem of having dnsmasq running all the time when not needed at all.
I just wanted to write this in case other users have the same problem I had.
RM should have a better default network configuration, it looks messy right now. These changes could be easily implemented in firmware updates.
Please sign in to leave a comment.