RainMachine Pro and RainMachine Touch HD (2nd gen) with Apple HomeKit integration will work with your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Apple Watch.
Note: Apple HomeKit RainMachine smart home integration does not require RainMachine Premium Services subscription since it does not require a valid RainMachine Remote Access email account.
With Apple HomeKit integration for RainMachine you will be able to:
- Manually start/stop a zone.
- Change the default running time for each zone.
- Queue multiple zones.
- Change the status of a zone (active or inactive).
- Change the zone custom names.
Note: Changing the zone custom name from within Apple HomeKit will not be reflected in the RainMachine local/mobile/web interface, but the changes made to the zone names from the RainMachine local/mobile/web interface will be reflected into the Apple HomeKit interface.
- Use voice to command Apple Siri to start/stop a zone or check your sprinkler status.
Example of Apple Siri voice commands:
- "Hey Siri, water Lawn" (where "Lawn" is your irrigation zone custom name)
- "Hey Siri, please water Lawn for 5 minutes" or "Hey Siri, turn on Lawn for 5 minutes"
- "Hey Siri, stop watering" or "Hey Siri, stop all watering"
You can ask Apple Siri to tell you what is going on with your sprinklers
- "Hey Siri, what's my sprinkler state" or "Hey Siri, what's my sprinkler doing"
Note: Once the RainMachine Apple HomeKit accessory is renamed inside the Apple Home app, you can use its custom name (eg: Garden Irrigation) into the voice command, like: "Hey Siri, what's my Garden Irrigation doing".
Note: Apple HomeKit, for now, does not allow to run programs or to create scenes automation with the current irrigation profile.
Add RainMachine Pro and Touch HD as an Apple HomeKit accessory
Use the Apple Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch device with iOS 11.0 and up installed.
- Make sure that RainMachine Pro/Touch HD is powered on and nearby.
- For Pro device: Go to Settings - System - IoT - Apple HomeKit - Pairing Mode - Yes.
- For Touch HD device: Go to Settings - System - Internet of Things - Apple HomeKit - Enter pairing mode.
- The Apple HomeKit code and QR will show on the RainMachine screen.
- Open the Apple Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch device.
- Tap on the "Add Accessory" button and scan the HomeKit code using the Apple device camera.Note: If the camera is not available choose the "Don't Have a Code or Can't Scan?" option then tap on the "Enter code..." button and manually enter the Apple HomeKit 8 digits code listed on the RainMachine Pro screen.
- Wait for the process to complete and if successful, the RainMachine will be added as an Apple HomeKit accessory and can be manually controlled through Apple Home mobile/desktop app or Apple Siri voice commands when on the same Wi-Fi local network.
- To control RainMachine through the Apple Home app while away, you have to use an Apple HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad set as a home hub.
To use and manage your HomeKit accessories from the Home app on all of your Apple devices sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID on every device. NOTE: You might need to turn on the iCloud Keychain and Home in iCloud Settings on your Mac OS desktop.
If adding the RainMachine as an Apple HomeKit accessory fails, please make sure:
- The RainMachine Pro is up to date (v4.0.1131 and up).
- The RainMachine Touch HD-12/16 is up to date (v4.0.1129 and up).
- Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS. To use the Home app on a Mac, update your Mac to macOS Mojave.
- Update the RainMachine iOS mobile app to the latest version.
- The RainMachine is connected to the same Wi-Fi local network as your Apple iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
- Reset Apple HomeKit pairing code by going to the RainMachine Pro device and access: Settings - System - IoT - Apple HomeKit - Reset Pairings - Yes
- Reset Apple HomeKit pairing code by going to the RainMachine Touch HD device and access: Settings - Internet of Things - Apple HomeKit - Reset Pairings - Yes
- Reboot your Apple iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch and then connect it to the same Wi-Fi local network as RainMachine Pro device and try again.
- Apple HomeKit: https://www.apple.com/lae/ios/home/
- How to use the Apple Home app: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204893
- How to set up your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057
- RainMachine Pro software update.
Article is closed for comments.