My Rainmachine has been consistently failing to update WUnderground local stations since 9/5/2019. There were no changes to settings for last year or so.
Following some other posts I tested the direct URL in the browser and the station I am pinging work just fine:
This got me thinking as Rainmachine WU set up on my sprinkler doesn't have any API specified in the API box at all which had been working fine to date but maybe something changed?
So I tried the same URL without API key (I removed the "&apiKey=abc12defg3456789h01ijkl234m567n7" part") and I got error... If I plug any bogus value in apiKey then it works. Apparently WU made some change to their service and now requires a key in the URL (even a bogus one, so long it is there) as otherwise it throws an error.
Rainmachine, as would logic dictate, appends apiKey to URL if it is specified and skips this argument if it is not specified so it makes sense that it would send what is an invalid URL to WU service.
The solution is to specify anything in the "API KEY" box (so long it has the correct length for API Key, any value with 32 characters will work) in the WU settings page and the Rainmachine starts working fine with WU again.
Please sign in to leave a comment.