How can we help?

International availability



  • Avatar
    Richard Mann (Edited )

    Hi John,

    Similar problem here in Australia (except we desperately need irrigation). I bought mine from Amazon U.S. and paid the shipping.

    You can just buy a power supply that suits the RainMachine. Get a bare-ended wire transformer. The one included with the RainMachine has an output of 24V AC, 750 mA, but only supports 120V AC input at 60Hz. I.e. it is not 120-240 volts. As long as the power supply is outputting 24V AC and has at least 750 mA is will be fine as the transformer will only draw enough amps as the unit demands.

    Here is mine set up in the shed where you can see the details of the power supply that I bought.

    I also attached a Rain Sensor. It is a Rainbird Wired Rain Sensor CPRSDBEX from Amazon. Almost any brand will do. They are quite simple systems and have two bare-ended wires coming out of them. To connect it is a real pain and there are other posts within this forum that explain it. Essentially, you need to use little plugs the same as what you have to connect a PC Motherboard to all the LED's etc. They connect in to a little panel in the RainMachine.

    Here is the forum post.

    Note that the little adapter has to be bought separately (yes, I know.......), but this can be worked around with information in the above post.

    I would recommend RainMachine, but international support is not their forte. I had to write my own parser to get local weather information, but without the open nature of RainMachine, this would have otherwise been impossible.

    Good luck.

  • Avatar
    John Lockwood

    I believe a number of people in the UK have imported models or as mentioned there is a couple of models listed apparently distributed by Rainmaker on the Amazon UK website. Yes one can buy a suitable power supply and I am presuming they currently ship it with a European one. However my feeling is that if they want to win my and other UK business they have an obligation to supply the proper power supply. Otherwise they should discount the cost to reflect the extra cost I have to bear.

    I still feel they should provide a lot more information about what third-party rain/freeze sensors and leak/shut off valves are suitable to use with their product. Rachio provide a lot more information as a comparison although even they could do better.

    Does the Rainbird also do freeze warning? Rainmachine seem to imply there is a combined rain/freeze sensor that can be used but don't suggest which make/model.

    I would plan to link to either a Netatmo or Weatherflow via WeatherUnderground. As far as I can see this should be straight forward even outside the USA.


    By the way I thought our Duke and Duchess of Sussex had delivered a whole load of rain to you recently. ;)

  • Avatar
    RainMachine Nicholas


    We currently ship with EU type plug and compatible power adapter in Europe. If we would be to sell on we would definitely include an adapter but for now it's wait and see how Brexit will impact custom clearance and import fees.

    There shouldn't be any problem using weather services in EU/International installation. Actually most of our built in weather services are international. Of course each country might benefit from their own weather service installed in RainMachine, as Richard mentioned but our default weather services will work.

    Most Rain/Freeze sensors are compatible with RainMachine, I said most because there might always be someone to design a sensor that it's not compatible with anything :). 

    The article here explains how to connect and different types of sensors: 

    The Rain Sensor cable mentioned is only for RainMachine HD models, it's not required but it eases the connection.

    For the Flow Sensor this only available for Pro models which will get the big roll out next year. The RainMachine HD12/16 will get an update soon which will allow a flow sensor to be connected but for HD models you can use either flow or rain not both at the same time.


  • Avatar
    John Lockwood


    Thanks for the reply. RainMachine as I mentioned do list some models on see - as an example.

    Whilst a unit with a european power supply and european plug with a UK plug adapter would work in the UK, it would be a disappointment compared to a power supply with UK plug. Not only are such plug adapters less reliable because the connection is looser, it significantly adds to the bulk (depth) sometimes making it impossible to fit the power supply behind a cupboard etc.

    It should be noted many external power supplies these days come supporting universal input voltages and clip on plugs to support multiple countries, or alternatively the power cable with the wall plug is separate that is it plugs in to the power supply 'brick'.

    See -

    and -

    as examples of both these types of approach.

  • Avatar
    Michael (Edited )

    I don't see the issue of not being able to find a 24vac adapter that hard, and frankly at this stage if the RM option Is to supply a power point hog I'd rather have my own which has a few meters of cable from the outlet to the adapter and then a few meters from the plugpack to the RM unit


    I would however be willing to pay for a high efficiency unit, something that is say 95% efficient at both normal load and idle for example.


    Appendium, actually something that came to mind is I'd love to see a Poe+ powered Rain machine... no plug pack required, just a decent switch

  • Avatar

    You can do PoE; you just need a PoW splitter on the RainMachine end  In my case I'm using UPOE and using all four pairs to supply power.


    So Ethernet with PoE into the splitter and out comes Ethernet and 24VAC.

  • Avatar

    that's PoE Injection, I'd love to see 802.3at type 2 or maybe even 802.3bt

  • Avatar

    No, it is not.  I'm using a splitter to power the Rain Machine; the power is coming directly from my switch.  There is no injector being used.  The PoE splitter I'm using does use PoE standards and as such, I'm feeding it with up to 60 watts.  PoE injection would require the use of an injector and then it would be considered mid-span; that is not what I'm doing.


    My setup:

    PoE switch to splitter to Rain Machine.  The splitter sits in the same cabinet as the Rain Machine.


    If you want PoE today, using a splitter is the only option.  I wouldn't expect to see a PoE capable version in the near future since the Pro model just came out.  Keep in mind that the Mini, Touch and Pro all use different firmware and as such, they need to support three different platforms.  Also they need to recoup the R&D from the Pro model.  So if you want PoE today or in the near future, the use of a splitter is the only option.

  • Avatar

    Here is what my switch says about the splitter:


    Interface Admin  Oper       Power   Device              Class Max  (Watts)                            

    --------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----

    Gi1/0/44  auto   on         60.0    Ieee PD                 4                  60.0


    If injection was used, my switch would know nothing about PoE since it wouldn't have any knowledge of it let alone what class the device would be.  Splitters are commonly used for devices that not PoE capable.  And yes, all four pairs are carrying power.

  • Avatar

    well I have a PoE at switch and it does not power the Pro 16, I'd love to see photo's of your setup as none of the manuals or documentation that I can find about the RM show any if them being PoE compatible

  • Avatar
    John Lockwood (Edited )


    Just in case there has been a misunderstanding, what lanbrown is saying to do is the following.

    1. Have a switch which supports PoE
    2. Have a device at the other end which extracts the power from the Ethernet cable splitting it from the Ethernet
    3. Connect the Ethernet minus power to the Ethernet port of the RainMachie
    4. Connect the power which has been extracted from the Ethernet cable to the 24v input on the RainMachine

    The difficulty is that the overwhelming majority of PoE Splitters give you either a USB connection or a mini jack connection and not bare wires as needed by the RainMachine. If you cannot find one which ends in bare wires then probably the best option is to get one that ends in a mini jack connection and to either use an extension cable and chop the end off or chop the end off the built-in cable. As it happens the splitter I found that outputs 24v DC has a mini jack socket so you would get a mini jack cable and again chop the end off.

    See -

    The connection would therefore be like this -


    Switch --> Ethernet cable --> PoE splitter --> Ethernet cable --> Ethernet socket on RainMachine


                                                         +--Mini Jack cable (one end stripped) --> 24v input on RainMachine

  • Avatar

    John has indicated that you've used a PoE converter, that's very cool, I had no idea they existed


    would still like direct PoE support however :) cleaner install

  • Avatar

    It is not a PoE converter it is a PoE splitter which is the official name of such a device.  Please use the correct terms as it reduces confusion.


    The PoE splitter I use outputs 24VAC just like the official adapter that Rain Machine provides; the splitter also has a terminal block run run bare wires from the splitter to the Rain Machine.

  • Avatar
    Yuri Staal

    But these splitters will mostly output 24VDC, while we need 24VAC, right?

  • Avatar
    John Lockwood

    @Yuri Staal


    Oops, yes the one I suggested like the majority outputs DC. I have now found this one -

    This at least shows some are available - the one I found does not have the ideal connector, you would need to eithe rchop the end off as I previously mentioned or make an adapter cable.

  • Avatar

    Get the one up from the one you listed and it has a terminal block instead of a barrel connector.  I bought the one with the terminal block.  The Tycon is actually a rebranded unit from a Chinese firm.

Please sign in to leave a comment.